to fix a Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx Vista etc|
that is not receiving satellites
above: fixed !
without rubber and tape strips
recharging cables and 3V battery :-)
how to recharge
Plus and Minus...
All of the stuff below did not help !!!
The new battery lastet only a few days... it does not get recharged...
I now downgraded the GPS chipset firmware ... to 2.5
Garmin Firmware stayed on 3.2
I will see if this works... any help appreciated.
My Garmin stopped to work out of no apparent reason:
the satellite finding display just did not show the satellite bars anymore
everything else seemed to work fine
I sent it to Garmin but they said it was an irreparable software? fault... a replacement would be 100 EUR... I said no, too expensive, I had them send it back to me.
after a long search I found something useful in the internet
there was a hint that the backup battery ( rechargeable) might be empty or broken.
the quick fix is easy
take it apart, rubber, sticky clear strip, elastic second strip, plastic upper and lower half
take a 3V battery (i.e. CR123)
take two cables and connect them to + and - of your CR123 (soembody might have to help you to hold the cables to the battery while your are using the fine tips to connect to the right points on the printed circuit-board / battery cell
than use the tips of the cable to connect and charge the little battery cell
see last picture for + and -
30 seconds or a minute should do
put it back together... first just click the two halves of the case together to try it out.
taataa... fixed. But this fix will not last very long... but it prove what is wrong: the backup cell has to be exchanged:
In Germany you can order it here www.abcde.de ML621-TZ1-D
The soldering is slightly difficult due to the fine pins... but I got it done and the device is as good as new. (October 2012)
Maybe this additional explanation how to solve it help somebody else
here is the text I found in the Internet that put me on the right path.... all other sources were telling about flashing the firmware etc. but that is not the cause of the problem
I want to report that I was able to fix the problem by removing and charging the unit's internal battery. This is a small ~6mm diameter coin cell located near the ribbon cable connector for the micro SD card. I'm not sure if this cell is rechargeable or not. I do know that I measured the cell's voltage at about 0.25V. I desoldered the cell, and briefly applied 3V to the terminals to charge it up past 2V. Once I soldered the cell back in, the unit immediately acquired satellites upon rebooting. I was even able to successfully update the chipset firmware to the latest version (I had 2.40, latest was 2.80). I may or may not need a replacement cell, but at least I now know the source of the problem.
Wie zu beheben eine Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Vista etc
Google Translation (na da gibt es ja noch reichlich Raum für Verbesserungen...)